Professor Hugh Pennington told Radio Ulster's Nolan Show that tracking the number of cases was crucial.
In December, a baby died from a Pseudomonas infection at Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry.
In January, three more died from a different strain of the infection at the Royal Jubilee Maternity in Belfast.
Genotyping Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Overview of P. aeruginosa
What is Bacterial Typing?
Why typing P. aeruginosa
- Identify and trace outbreaks in a real time from a single or a multiple source.
- Check if a medical device is the source of a contamination to implement hygiene measures.v
- Distinguish recurrence and reinfection in a chronic patient to determine the source of infection.
- Check if the hospital water network is the source of contamination to characterize the outbreak (nosocomial or community-acquired).
- Show evidence of cross-infections between patients to control the outbreak.
- Emphasize the emergence of virulent strains/clones (Lesb, PAO1, PA14,…)
- Study P. aeruginosa epidemiology to know its evolution and evaluate emergence conditions.
MLVA, a powerful typing method Multi Locus VNTR Analysis (MLVA) is a PCR based typing method that relies on the inherent variability found in many regions of repetitive DNA called VNTR (Variable Number Tandem Repeat) which represent sources of genetic polymorphism. The MLVA assay for P. aeruginosa examines 16 loci. Thus, each isolate is defined by a 16-digit numeric code corresponding to the number of repeats at each VNTR.
Efficient amplification of the 16 markers in 2 multiplex PCRs. Required equipment: ABI sequencer to analyze the amplicons. The typing data is managed by GeneMapper (defaultly linked with ABI sequencers) to obtain the numeric code. Ceeram provides specific and adapted training sessions to help the implementation of bacterial typing in your lab.
Ceeram Solution : Service
Our Expertise Department has an automatized and standardized genotyping platform at disposal. The procedure involves three steps:
- Samples receipt (DNA or colonies on plates)
- MLVA genotyping and
- Analysis report (isolates relatedness).
Download our brochure
Keywords : Typing P. aeruginosa, Typing Pseudomonas, Genotyping yeast, genotyping mould, genotyping bacteria