The deaths were confirmed over the last 24 hours, almost three weeks after Saga holidays was first informed of the outbreak at the four-star spa and convention centre.
Genotyping Legionella pneumophila
Overview of L. pneumophila
What is Bacterial Typing?
Why typing L. pneumophila
- Reveal outbreak cases to initiate community containment measures.
- Determine the source of the contamination (hot water system or cooling tower)
- Trace the spread and source of the pathogen during nosocomial outbreaks.
- Distinguish recurrence and reinfection in a chronic patient to determine the source of infection.
- Characterize a travel-acquired legionellosis.
- Emphasize the presence/emergence of virulent strains/clones (Paris, Lorraine,…)
- Study L. pneumophila epidemiology to know its evolution and evaluate emergence conditions.
MLVA, a powerful typing method
Multi Locus VNTR Analysis (MLVA) is a PCR based typing method that relies on the inherent variability found in many regions of repetitive DNA called VNTR (Variable Number Tandem Repeat) which represent sources of genetic polymorphism. The MLVA assay for L. pneumophila examines 12 loci. Thus, each isolate is defined by a 12-digit numeric code corresponding to the number of repeats at each VNTR.
Efficient amplification of the 12 markers in a single PCR. Required equipment: ABI sequencer to analyze the amplicons. The typing data is managed by GeneMapper (defaultly linked with ABI sequencers) to obtain the numeric code. Ceeram provides specific and adapted training sessions to help the implementation of bacterial typing in your lab.
Ceeram Solution : Service
Our Expertise Department has an automatized and standardized genotyping platform at disposal. The procedure involves three steps:
- Samples receipt (DNA or colonies on plates)
- MLVA genotyping and
- Analysis report (isolates relatedness).
Download our brochure